EXPLANATION OF THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
THE FIRST COMMANDMENT
1. Recall in detail the circumstances when God gave the Ten Commandments to
Moses; and also when Christ confirmed them (see Exodus, xx. 2-17; Matt., v.
17-18, xix. 17-20).
2. Discuss how all the Commandments are founded on the two precepts of love
of God and love of neighbor.
3. Would you say that the Ten Commandments constitute the very foundation
of society? In what way?
4. How was the First Commandment violated by the ancient peoples?
5. Discuss the dignity of God and the necessity of adoring Him only.
6. What are some of the ways of refusing to give due adoration to God?
7. Does the First Commandment forbid veneration to the Saints, their
relics, pictures and statues? Explain and discuss this.