THE EIGHTH COMMANDMENT
1. Perjury is defined in civil law as the crime of willfully uttering false
evidence while one is under oath to tell the truth. Recall the references
from the Scriptures which support this definition.
2. Since calumny refers to spreading what is untrue about our neighbor, and
detraction refers to spreading what is true but otherwise unknown about
him - which seems to be the greater evil?
3. St. Thomas says this precept is violated by detraction, by listening to
detractors, and by gossipers. Discuss this.
4. Why is lying in all its forms forbidden by this Commandment?
5. Some will tell a falsehood for their own advantage, viz., out of
humility, out of shame, to gain or to avoid something, or even to benefit
some one else, and even out of vanity. Give examples of these points, and
discuss the wrongfulness of all such motives.