|Table of Contents | Words: Alphabetical - Frequency - Inverse - Length - Statistics | Help | IntraText Library|
|Meeting Christ in the Liturgy|
Instruction of the Roman Missal
IntraText CT - Text
253. For the celebration of the eucharist, the people of God normally assemble in a church or, if there is none, in some other fitting place worthy of so great a mystery. Churches and other places of worship should therefore be suited to celebrating the liturgy and to ensuring the active participation of the faithful. Further, the places and requisites for worship should be truly worthy and beautiful, signs and symbols of heavenly realities.72
254. At all times, therefore, the Church seeks out the service of the arts and welcomes the artistic expressions of all peoples and regions.73 The Church is intent on keeping the works of art and the treasures handed down from the past74 and, when necessary, on adapting them to new needs. It strives as well to promote new works of art that appeal to the contemporary mentality.75
In commissioning artists and choosing works of art that are to become part of a church, the highest artistic standard is therefore to be set, in order that art may aid faith and devotion and be true to the reality it is to symbolize and the purpose it is to serve.76
255. It is preferable that churches be solemnly consecrated. The faithful should give due honor to the cathedral of their diocese and to their own church as symbols of the spiritual Church that their Christian vocation commits them to build up and extend.
256. All who are involved in the construction, restoration, and remodeling of churches are to consult the diocesan commission on liturgy and art. The local Ordinary is to use the counsel and help of this commission whenever it comes to laying down norms on this matter, approving plans for new buildings, and making decisions on the more important issues.77
72. See SC art. 122 - 124; PO no. 5. SCR, Instr. InterOec, 26 Sept. 1964, No. 90; Instr. EuchMyst, 25 May 1967, no. 24.
73. See SC art. 123.
74. See SCR, Instr. EuchMyst no. 24.
75. See SC art. 123, 129. SCR, Instr. InterOec no. 13c.
76. See SC art. 123.
77. See SC art. 126.
Table of Contents | Words: Alphabetical - Frequency - Inverse - Length - Statistics | Help | IntraText Library
Best viewed with any browser at 800x600 or 768x1024 on Tablet PC
IntraText® (V89) - Some rights reserved by EuloTech SRL - 1996-2007. Content in this page is licensed under a Creative Commons License