THE THIRD COMMANDMENT
1. Explain the first reason which St. Thomas gives for observance of the
Sabbath or Sunday, i.e., to remind us of the creation of the world.
2. Why do we keep holy the Sunday and not Saturday? Explain this as though
you were talking to a Seventh Day Adventist.
3. The third reason for the Third Commandment refers to "the promise of
rest." Is rest for the body alone meant here?
4. What is the spiritual condition of men who do not keep one day "to
praise and pray to the Lord"? Discuss this.
5. Just what does "holy" mean in this Commandment?
6. What is understood by "servile works," and when may one work on Sunday?
7. St. Thomas tells us not to work and not to be idle on Sunday. Do you
think that he advocates a "blue Sunday"?
8. To assist at Holy Mass (see footnote 37) and to hear a sermon are the
best ways to keep the Sunday in a proper way. Observe the references from
the Scriptures in support of this.
9. There is also a "Spiritual Sabbath" for those who lead saintly lives
(the "more perfect" of the text). This is a continual rest for the soul
while it is still here on earth. Explain this.
10. What is meant by the "Heavenly Sabbath"?